Every county on the planet earth has a History which states their ancient civilization, societies, economy, infrastructure, their beliefs etc. Among several other countries, India has vast memories of kings and their bravery. India is the country of kings and full of stories of war. India has 29 states and 7 Union territories. Among all 29 Rajasthan is known as “Land of Kings”. Rajasthan has the widest history of Kings, wars and victories, love and romance, misfortune and glory.
Let’s find out top 10 forts which speak about their misfortune and glory.
- Jaisalmer Fort:- This is one of the oldest forts of Rajasthan which is located in the heart of the city. Jaisalmer fort is built by Rajput ruler Rawal Jaisal. It is stood at the crossroads of very important routes including the ancient silk road. This fort is also known as the Golden fort because of its yellow sandstone walls.
Distance from railway station:- 2.2km
Distance from Airport:- 13.3km
- Ranthambore fort:- Sawai Madhopur is the nearest town to this remarkable fort. This fort was the capital of Mewar and now it’s under Chittorgarh. Recently this fort is declared as world heritage site by UNESCO. Ranthambore national park is another famous site to visit.
Distance from railway station:- 13.1km
Distance from Airport:- 150km (nearest airport is Jaipur)
- Chittorgarh Fort:- It is one of the largest forts in India and is incredibly designed and maintained. It is designed by Sisodia Rajput. It is located in the bank of river Berach which is tributary of Banas river. Within chittorgarh fort you will enjoy visiting Vijay Stamb, Meera Temple, Kumbha Palace, gaumukh kund and Rani Padmini Palace.
Distance from railway station:- 7.9km
Distance from Airport:- 100.1km via NH27/NH48 (nearest airport is in Udaipur)
- Amber Fort:- This fort is located in Amer which is located near Jaipur. This is the major attraction in amber which includes sheesh meal, diwan-i-am, Diwan-I-Khas, Sheela Mata temple, sukh niwas and magnificent artwork. Light and sound show is another attraction of amber fort after sunset. Where you can enjoy the history of the Amber Fort.
Distance from railway station:- 11.9km (Jaipur junction is the nearest railway station)
Distance from Airport:- 19.9km (nearest airport is in Jaipur)
- Jaigarh Fort:- The length of this fort is 3000 meters and width of this magnificent fort is 1000 meter. This fort was built in 18th century by Maharaja Jai Singh. Jaigarh Fort is built 400 meters above from the amber fort which gives an excellent view of Aravalli hills. There is a cannon called “Jaivana” and claimed to be the largest cannon in the world.
Distance from railway station:- 14.5km (Jaipur junction is the nearest railway station)
Distance from Airport:- 24.7km (JAI is the nearest airport)
- Nahargarh Fort:- It is built on the edge of Aravali hills. This fort gives you a panoramic view of Jaipur. It was named as Sudarshan Garh but later it became Nahargarh. This fort is covered with wall and forming fortification that connected this fort to Jaigarh Fort.
Distance from railway station:- 18.2 km
Distance from Airport:- 27.1km
- Kumbhalgarh fort:– this is a giant fort whose walls cover 36 kilometers with 7 huge gates. These gates are named as nimboo pol, Top-khana pol, paghra Pol, Bhairava Pol, Ram Pol, Hanuman Pol and Hulla Pol. This fort is situated 82 km northwest of Udaipur by road. This fort comes under Rajsamand district near Udaipur. Rana Kumbha builds this fort in the 15th century.
Distance from railway station:- 83.1km (nearest railway station is in Falna)
Distance from Airport:- 108km via nathdwara ( nearest airport is in Udaipur)
- Mehrangarh Fort:- This Fort is built in around 1460 by king Rao Jodha. This fort is 125 m above than the surrounding plain. This magnificent fort ranked No 1 among all the other attraction in Jodhpur. Mehrangarh fort is the favorite headquarters of the senior branch of the Rajput clan called Rathore.
Distance from railway station:- 4.3km
Distance from Airport:- 8.3km
- Junagarh Fort:- This fort is built by Karan Chand and originally called Chintamani. The total area covered by Junagarh fort is 63,119 square yards. This magnificent fort has 7 gates. There is a temple called Harmandir build inside the walls of Junagarh. This temple is the Private temple of royal family used for festivals, birthday and marriage celebrations. Phool Mahal is the Oldest part of the place built by King Rai Singh.
Distance from railway station:- 1.8km (this is in Bikaner)
Distance from Airport:- 15.2 km (nearest airport is in Bikaner)
- Gagron fort:- This is the only fort in India which is built without the foundation (नींव in Hindi). This is the only fort in Rajasthan which is surrounded by water. This fort is declared as world heritage by UNESCO on 21 June 2013. Gagron fort has seen around 13 wars and 2 johars.
Distance from railway station:- 9.8km (nearest railway station is in Jhalawarh)
Distance from Airport:- 89.9km (nearest railway station is in Kota)
There are some other forts in rajasthan which you can visit. here is a list of those forts as below
- Mandawa Fort, Shekhawati
- Lohagarh Fort, Bharatpur
- Deeg Palace, Bharatpur
- Taragarh Fort, Bundi