Rajasthan is the home of tradition, and You can see that in every corner here. Many local festivals and fairs are celebrated here reflecting the state’s rich heritage. The camel fair of Pushkar or Pushkar Mela is one of them. Pushkar Fair is known as one of the largest cattle fairs in the world. Apart from buying and selling livestock, many cultural activities occurred here, making this fair a popular tourist attraction. You can witness one-of-a-kind competitions such as “Longest Moustache”, Matka Phod, and Bridal Competition. In 2023, the Pushkar Camel Fair is starting on November 20. Let’s get more information about this fair.
Important Information of Pushkar Fair 2023
|November 20, 2023 – November 28, 2023
|3,50,000 to 4,00,000
|Distance from Railway Station
|15 Km Ajmer Junction
Interesting facts about the Pushkar Mela
- As per the estimations, more than 3,50,000 people will attend the fair in 2023.
- Pushkar is also home to 400+ temples and 52 Ghats where you can take a bath during this fair
- As per the legends taking a holy bath on Kartik Purnima will help achieve success.
- This Pushkar mela has a history of more than 100 years.
- Not camel but the horses are the most expensive animals in this cattle trade fair.
- First, 8 days of the mela belong to trade and cultural activities and the last day is for religious activities.
- Almost 20% of the people who come here are from abroad which makes this fair a major tourist attraction. Also, it is one of the best local festivals to celebrate in Rajasthan.
Reason for Celebrating Pushkar Fair
Every year, on the day of Kartika Purnima Pushkar Fair is organized. According to the people and some stories, 33 Koti Devi Devta (Indian Goddess and God) came on the earth to bless their devotees during this time. So, Hindu devotees come in large numbers at this fair. Also, people believe Kartika Purnima is the right time to forget past sins and do something better in life.
This fair has a history of more than 100 years old. Tradesmen have the opportunity to sell their products to a larger audience. Also, the local artist has the chance to showcase their art, and this attracts foreign visitors. They came to see the local handicrafts, dances, cultures, clothes, and interesting competitions. It reflects the local culture of Rajasthan.
Main Attraction of the Camel Fair in Pushkar
- Camel Show and Trade – As the fair is also known as “Camel Fair” the Camels are the main talking point here. You can see thousands of good-looking and well-dressed camels here. More than 30000 camels are traded in this fair and you can also witness activities such as the Camel Dance and Parade.
- Cultural Performace – We have mentioned earlier that Rajasthan is home to tradition and heritage. The fair of Pushkar is one of the best places to witness that. Beautiful girls doing the traditional dance, various entertaining shows, and much more.
- Interesting Competition – This fair is famous for its unique competitions. Whether it’s a Moustache competition, Bride and Groom competition or the Matka Phod contest. You will enjoy every bit of it.
- Religious Activities – Not only the trade or traditional activities but this fair also has religious importance. 400 temples and 52 Ghats in Pushkar where you can see the devotees performing their “Puja”. Also, the end day of this fair is for religious activities in which you can take a holy bath in Pushkar Lake and participate in “Maha Arti”.
- Traditional Trade – Not only the camels or cattle this fair also gives you a chance to buy traditionally made things at the right cost. Local people set up their stalls and you can buy handicrafts, gems, clothes, food items, and various things.
Things to Experience in the Fair
|Approximate Price (in INR)
|Explore the desert on camelback
|500 – 1,500
|Hot Air Balloon Ride
|Get panoramic views of Pushkar from the sky
|2,000 – 5,000
|Maha Aarti at Pushkar Lake
|Witness the grand evening prayer ceremony
|Buy traditional Rajasthani crafts and textiles
|Folk Dance Performances
|Enjoy colorful performances by local artists
|200 – 500
|Rajasthani Puppet Show
|Experience the traditional puppetry art
|100 – 300
|Participate and capture the essence of Pushkar
|Entry Fee: 300 – 500
|Glide over the fairgrounds for an adrenaline rush
|500 – 1,000
|Explore Pushkar’s surroundings on horseback
|300 – 800
|Adorn your hands with beautiful henna designs
|50 – 200
|Attend yoga and meditation sessions
|Try local Rajasthani cuisine at food stalls
|100 – 500
|Camel Trading Experience
|Observe and learn about camel trading
|Ferris Wheel Ride
|Enjoy a bird’s eye view of the fairgrounds
|50 – 100
|Astrology and Palm Reading
|Seek insights into your future from local astrologers
|100 – 300
Pushkar Mela is an event that showcases the rich heritage and traditional culture of Rajasthan. It has things for everyone from adventure lovers to traditional admirers, from food to animal lovers. If you are interested in attending the Pushkar fair you can contact us on +91 9649222244 to book your travel packages. A huge number of people attend the fair making it difficult to arrange the accommodations. Buying a travel package from Flextates will make you skip the line and enjoy the fair without any worry.
Ans. Yes, absolutely the Pushkar fair is worth visiting. It’s more than a cattle trade fair you can see the rich heritage of Rajasthan here and participate in various unique competitions.
Ans. In 2023, this fair is scheduled between November 20 to November 28. The first 7 days are for cultural and trade activities, and the last day is reserved for religious activities.
Ans. The major tourist attractions of the Pushkar fair are – Camel Safari, Cattle Trade, Handicrafts, Zip lining, Hot Air Ballon Ride, Cultural Shows, Competitions, Desert Safari, Desert Camping, and many more.
Ans. This year the fair is starting on November 20 and ending on November 28.
Ans. According to the people and some stories, 33 Koti Devi Devta (Indian Goddess and God) came on the earth to bless their devotees during this time. So, Hindu devotees come in large numbers at this fair.